Symptoms: Friends of the Fear
Every case of contaminate phobia is a little different.
Why? Because the core of the problem – the patterns of thinking, the images, movies, sounds and dialog that are internally associated with contagiousness – are different in each person.
But while the ‘internal representations’ as they are called are different from person to person there are a number of symptoms which are common to many tapinophobes:
- A feeling of uncontrollable anxiety when you think about or are exposed to contagiousness
- The feeling that you must do everything possible to avoid contagiousness
- The inability to function normally because of your anxiety
- Often, the knowledge that your fears are unreasonable or exaggerated but feeling powerless to control them
Tapinophobic symptoms can be mental, emotional and physical. The anxiety and fear can go from mild feelings of apprehension to a full-blown panic attack.
Typically, the closer you are to what you’re afraid of, the greater your fear will be. You can test the severity of your problem with this 2-minute online contaminate phobia test.
But because the fear is a physical response to patterns of thinking about contagiousness and not the actual contagiousness almost all people with contaminate phobia can create a very strong reaction just by using their mind.
> For help chaging these patterns of thinking, read this article How to Overcome Contaminate Phobia.
- Obsessive Thoughts
- Difficulty thinking about anything other than the fear
- Really bad images and/or movies of contagiousness
- Feelings of unreality or of being detached from yourself
- Fear of losing control or going crazy
- Fear of fainting
- Anticipatory Anxiety: Persistent worrying about upcoming events that involve contagiousness
- Terror: A persistent and overwhelming fear of the same
- Desire to Flee: An intense instinct to leave the situation (which is tough when its purely in the mind)
While not generally experienced at the same time as contaminate phobia episode, we find that overall when they think about their past, most clients have elevated levels of one or more of:
- Anger, Sadness, Fear, Hurt & Guilt
- Dizziness, shaking, palpitations.
- Shortness of breath or smothering sensation
- Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Trembling or shaking
- Feeling of choking
- Nausea or stomach distress
- Feeling unsteady, dizzy, lightheaded, or faint
- Numbness or tingling sensations
- Hot or cold flashes
Or learn more about Contaminate Phobia:
DefinitionCONTAMINATE PHOBIA: (tapinophobia and fear of being contagious)
1: contaminate phobia: a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of contagiousness, despite conscious understanding by the phobic individual and reassurance by others that there is no danger. 2: contaminate phobia: an extreme unwarranted fear and/or physical aversion to contagiousness.
OTHER NAMES FOR THISActually, the phobia name for Contaminate Phobia is called tapinophobia. Different people call it by different names of course:
– Fear Of Being Contagious
– Fear Of Contagious
– Fear Of Contaminate
– Fear Of Contaminating
– Phobia Of Being Contagious
– Phobia Of Contagious
– Phobia Of Contaminate
– Phobia Of Contaminating
– Being Contagious Fear
– Contagious Fear
– Contaminate Fear
– Contaminating Fear
– Being Contagious Phobia
– Contagious Phobia
– Contaminate Phobia
– Contaminating Phobia