Symptoms: Friends of the Fear
Every case of fear of being dependent upon others is a little different.
Why? Because the core of the problem – the patterns of thinking, the images, movies, sounds and dialog that are internally associated with dependence – are different in each person.
(Note that most cures offered for fear of being dependent upon others – expecially using drugs and medications – will tackle only the symptoms, not the thinking that is the actual core of the problem).
But while the ‘internal representations’ as they are called are different from person to person there are a number of symptoms which are common to many soteriophobes:
- A feeling of uncontrollable anxiety when you think about or are exposed to dependence
- The feeling that you must do everything possible to avoid dependence
- The inability to function normally because of your anxiety
- Often, the knowledge that your fears are unreasonable or exaggerated but feeling powerless to control them
Soteriophobic symptoms can be mental, emotional and physical. The anxiety and fear can go from mild feelings of apprehension to a full-blown panic attack.
Typically, the closer you are to what you’re afraid of, the greater your fear will be. You can test the severity of your problem with this 2-minute online fear of being dependent upon others test.
But because the fear is a physical response to patterns of thinking about dependence and not the actual dependence almost all people with fear of being dependent upon others can create a very strong reaction just by using their mind.
> For help chaging these patterns of thinking, read this article How to Overcome Fear of Being Dependent Upon Others.
- Obsessive Thoughts
- Difficulty thinking about anything other than the fear
- Really bad images and/or movies of dependence
- Feelings of unreality or of being detached from yourself
- Fear of losing control or going crazy
- Fear of fainting
- Anticipatory Anxiety: Persistent worrying about upcoming events that involve dependence
- Terror: A persistent and overwhelming fear of the same
- Desire to Flee: An intense instinct to leave the situation (which is tough when its purely in the mind)
While not generally experienced at the same time as fear of being dependent upon others episode, we find that overall when they think about their past, most clients have elevated levels of one or more of:
- Anger, Sadness, Fear, Hurt & Guilt
- Dizziness, shaking, palpitations.
- Shortness of breath or smothering sensation
- Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Trembling or shaking
- Feeling of choking
- Nausea or stomach distress
- Feeling unsteady, dizzy, lightheaded, or faint
- Numbness or tingling sensations
- Hot or cold flashes
- Get One on One Help:
The VIP Program for Fear of Being Dependent Upon Others
- Get the Home Study Program:
Vanquish Fear & Anxiety for Fear of Being Dependent Upon Others
Or learn more about Fear of Being Dependent Upon Others:
- Fear Home Page
- Online Test
- Meds & Drugs
- Treatment & Cure
- How to Overcome
DefinitionFEAR OF BEING DEPENDENT UPON OTHERS: (soteriophobia and fear of dependence on others)
1: fear of being dependent upon others: a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of dependence, despite conscious understanding by the phobic individual and reassurance by others that there is no danger. 2: fear of being dependent upon others: an extreme unwarranted fear and/or physical aversion to dependence.
OTHER NAMES FOR THISActually, the phobia name for Fear of Being Dependent Upon Others is called soteriophobia. Different people call it by different names of course:
– Fear Of Dependence On Others
– Fear Of Depending On Others
– Fear Of Being Dependent Upon Others
– Fear Of Depend
– Phobia Of Dependence On Others
– Phobia Of Depending On Others
– Phobia Of Being Dependent Upon Others
– Phobia Of Depend
– Dependence On Others Fear
– Depending On Others Fear
– Being Dependent Upon Others Fear
– Depend Fear
– Dependence On Others Phobia
– Depending On Others Phobia
– Being Dependent Upon Others Phobia
– Depend Phobia