Symptoms: Friends of the Fear
Every case of fear of success is a little different.
Why? Because the core of the problem – the patterns of thinking, the images, movies, sounds and dialog that are internally associated with success – are different in each person.
But while the ‘internal representations’ as they are called are different from person to person there are a number of symptoms which are common to many achievemephobes:
- A feeling of uncontrollable anxiety when you think about or are exposed to success
- The feeling that you must do everything possible to avoid success
- The inability to function normally because of your anxiety
- Often, the knowledge that your fears are unreasonable or exaggerated but feeling powerless to control them
Achievemephobic symptoms can be mental, emotional and physical. The anxiety and fear can go from mild feelings of apprehension to a full-blown panic attack.
Typically, the closer you are to what you’re afraid of, the greater your fear will be. You can test the severity of your problem with this 2-minute online fear of success test.
But because the fear is a physical response to patterns of thinking about success and not the actual success almost all people with fear of success can create a very strong reaction just by using their mind.
> For help chaging these patterns of thinking, read this article How to Overcome Fear of Success.
- Obsessive Thoughts
- Difficulty thinking about anything other than the fear
- Really bad images and/or movies of success
- Feelings of unreality or of being detached from yourself
- Fear of losing control or going crazy
- Fear of fainting
- Anticipatory Anxiety: Persistent worrying about upcoming events that involve success
- Terror: A persistent and overwhelming fear of the same
- Desire to Flee: An intense instinct to leave the situation (which is tough when its purely in the mind)
While not generally experienced at the same time as fear of success episode, we find that overall when they think about their past, most clients have elevated levels of one or more of:
- Anger, Sadness, Fear, Hurt & Guilt
- Dizziness, shaking, palpitations.
- Shortness of breath or smothering sensation
- Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Trembling or shaking
- Feeling of choking
- Nausea or stomach distress
- Feeling unsteady, dizzy, lightheaded, or faint
- Numbness or tingling sensations
- Hot or cold flashes
Or learn more about Fear of Success:
DefinitionFEAR OF SUCCESS: (achievemephobia, fear of success and fear of moving forward)
1: fear of success: a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of success, despite conscious understanding by the phobic individual and reassurance by others that there is no danger. 2: fear of success: an extreme unwarranted fear and/or physical aversion to success.
OTHER NAMES FOR THISActually, the phobia name for Fear of Success is called achievemephobia. Different people call it by different names of course:
– Fear Of Success
– Success Fear
– Success Phobia
– Phobia Of Success
– Success Anxiety
– Anxiety About Success
– Fear Of Achievement
– Achievement Phobia
– Phobia Of Achievement
– Achievement Anxiety
– Achievement Fear